Thursday, June 21, 2007

What a Stupid Name for a Quilt Shop!! What does it mean anyways???

This post might help to explain why I chose Shiisa Quilts for my shop name.

I love the culture and people of Okinawa, and, for me, the shiisa is a constant reminder of the fun I've had living there. Before I learned to quilt, I was really involved in pottery. My favorite "subject" was shiisa!



Here's a few of my creations...

This is a female shiisa. You can tell that because her mouth is closed - or at least MORE closed than the male shiisa.


This is a male shiisa. Notice the big mouth!!



These are in-process pictures of my first large shiisa set. Total classwork time was about 32 hours.





Here's the finished product!!



Shiisa aren't always "scary"... sometimes they're whimsical or even just a little "naughty"... I didn't make these, but I thought they were cute.





And here's a couple of rooftop shiisa


No comments: